(Unsolicited plug for the company that made my new mattress: http://foxmattress.com/ They're based in Daytona, but they can ship to most places. It's a company that actually builds the mattress themselves, and they use higher-quality materials than most of the major brands you find in retail stores. And since they sell directly to consumers, the prices are way better. I emailed them about getting a bed, told them my weight and how I like to sleep on my side, and they custom-built a mattress just for me. I love the mattress and their business model. If you're ever looking to buy a new bed, I highly recommend them.)
I'm also noticing that, even after the back pain cleared up, there are days when I still feel unmotivated and don't want to do anything; and then there are days (like today) when I feel great and actually want to get up and get things done. And I'm finally starting to realize it has pretty much EVERYTHING to do with the food I put into my body. The last couple of weeks, I'd been feeling kinda lazy and unmotivated. I hadn't necessarily been eating super-unhealthy things (except for that 4-day stretch where I basically ate an entire bag of M&M's each day--curse you, Publix, and your BOGO specials), but they weren't especially BAD foods (e.g. bagel & cheddar cheese for breakfast). But they also weren't foods that were energizing for my body.
Today for breakfast, I had a fruit/whole milk/coconut oil/cacao powder/honey smoothie, and I feel so good. Lunch was a tuna sandwich with potato chips and grapes--would've been healthier without the chips, but still. I just went out and walked a mile, which is probably the first time I've gotten any on-purpose exercise in 2 months. And now I'm writing this, which is also something I haven't done in quite a while.
I rewatched the movie Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead a few weeks ago, and ever since, I've been wanting to try a juice fast. I actually think a lot of the bad food choices I've made since then have been trying to use up the bad food to get it out of the house, or eating out and/or buying more bad food because I won't get the chance to eat it when I'm juice fasting (which is incredibly silly, since I'm only aiming for a 4-5 day fast.) Apparently, your body feels kinda crappy the first 3 days, but then it adjusts and you start to feel really good. My plan is to go for at least 3-4 days, until the good feelings start to kick in, and then see how I feel. If it works for me, I may go longer. Part of me wants to go longer and use it as an elimination diet, to see if my psoriasis gets any better. From all the things I've read, psoriasis is caused by inflammation in the body, and the most likely source is food sensitivity. I tried going gluten-free a year or two ago, but it didn't seem to do much. If I can keep up the juice fast for a couple weeks or more, I'm hoping the psoriasis will at least start to get better, and I can gradually add back foods to see if anything triggers it again.
Anyway, that's the update. Going forward, if any of you see me consuming anything for breakfast that isn't a fruit/whole milk/coconut oil/cacao powder/honey smoothie, please feel free to slap me upside the head and remind me how good it makes me feel...
No comments:
Post a Comment