Sunday, September 20, 2015

Minor work-related rant

<Rant>
If you say you can't help me pack up the equipment after trivia because you "have somewhere to be," it really should be something that's time sensitive. (e.g. If you have a plane to catch and you'll just barely make it to the airport in time if you leave RIGHT NOW, that's perfectly understandable, and I'm happy to accommodate you in that situation.)

However, if you tell me you "have somewhere to be," and then stop to talk to people for 5 minutes on your way out of the restaurant, while I'm standing there packing up everything by myself, it makes me think that the "somewhere to be" is hanging out with your friends or something, and the extra 5-10 minutes it would take to help pack up and load the equipment (i.e. PART OF YOUR JOB THAT YOU GET PAID TO DO), would really have no significant impact, other than you getting there 5-10 minutes later.

Believe me, I know that working a trivia show doesn't pay very well; and I get that loading out the equipment is probably the least fun part of the job. I completely understand why you would rather not do it. But here's the thing: this equipment is not going to pack itself up and load itself out to my car--that will require exclusively human labor. And there are a total of 2 humans tasked with performing that labor, which works out to approximately 50% of the task per human. When one human skips out on the task, the mathematics work out so that one human is left to do 100% of the task, which requires twice as much work and twice as much time on the part of that one unlucky human.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if you're going to let other people do your work for you, you need to OWN it. Don't make up obviously lame excuses. Hold your head up high and say, "Imma let you do all the work tonight because I'm a LAZY FUCK who would rather be doing something else."

Oh, sorry, was that my out-loud voice.  Oopsie....
</rant>


On the bright side, when this sort of thing happens, I try to think about the positives in it. (At least I'm physically able to carry all this equipment--some people aren't that lucky. And I'm getting extra exercise, so that's something.) It doesn't always cancel out all the passive-aggressive anger, but it helps.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment