Monday, July 6, 2015

Air bed update

(Kind of a continuation of my last post, so you might want to read that first if you haven't already.)

So, after not sleeping all night and going to Lowe's at 6am, I was able to return the soldering iron that didn't work (I <3 their no-hassle return policy.) And I bought a soldering gun, based on the theory that it should have way more power, so it should be able to melt the solder easily. And it did. The first time. Then I tried it again. And once again, same problem--it seemed to be heating up, but not enough to melt the solder. It also seemed to be turning black, which is apparently a problem with oxidation, even though I did what I was supposed to and put a little bit of solder on the tip to prevent that from happening. Anyway, long story short, the first tip actually broke--presumably from too much oxidation or something. I switched that out for some flat tip that was obviously designed for something else, but I just needed to solder one fracking joint so I could inflate my air bed and go to fracking sleep. Ultimately, I managed to patch together the ugliest solder joint ever, wrap it all in electrical tape, and somehow it worked when I plugged it in. I think I'm going to wait a few days and take the soldering gun back to Lowe's and vow never to solder anything ever again.

Oh, and then I woke up this morning and turned over just in time to hear the popping sound as the air bed sprung a leak and started to deflate under me. There really are no words profane enough to describe my feelings at that moment. I've patched the hole with what is supposed to be super-strength air-bed-hole-patching tape. We'll see what happens when I try to re-inflate it. In the meantime, I've gone into full-on bed shopping mode. I just need the air bed to last until I can buy a real bed and get it delivered, at which point I will but a chain saw and have my revenge on the old mattress AND the air bed. Then I will take the chain saw back to Lowe's and once again abuse their no-hassle return policy...

No comments:

Post a Comment